Managing a small business presents a variety of challenges including creating a business plan, financial issues and monitoring employees. While some small business owners might prefer a do-it-yourself route for legal needs, there are times when calling in the experts is necessary. Are you currently considering hiring a small business lawyer? Read on to learn 5 signs you need to hire expert legal help for your small business.
Businesses & Legal Issues: 5 Signs You Need to Hire a Lawyer
- Entities: Businesses need to identify themselves as corporations, partnerships or other entities such as an LLC or sole proprietorship to determine financial status and ownership. Those starting a business or creating a business plan with others are especially encouraged to seek legal advice in the process of determining the best entity for your small business.
- Trademarking: Creating clever marketing is great, however you could find yourself in a legal battle if you violate rules relating to using trademarks that belong to other businesses. Contacting a lawyer for help with trademarking can save you money and stress in the long run.
- Selling: Although closing or selling your business might not have been a part of the business plan, these are legal issues that small business owners face and ones for which consulting an attorney is wise.
- Business Plan: Developing a business plan will ensure that long-term goals are identified in addition to creating a strategic plan for any future legal or financial issues.
- Contracts: Whether working with an independent contractor or other businesses, seeking legal advice from an expert before signing a contract can help ensure that all parties involved are aware of the expectations of goods and services to be exchanged. In addition, if you have clients that you sign under contract it’s a good idea to have an experienced attorney help you draft the contract to ensure it passes muster and that all your bases are covered.
Businesses facing legal issues can save time and money by hiring an expert before the issues become a major problem. Are you seeking legal help for your small business? Contact The Wilkerson Law Office for expert legal services today!
Photo Credit: PicJumbo
Asha Wilkerson is the founder of The Wilkerson Law Office. Ms. Wilkerson provides skilled advice and counsel to for-profit, non-profit, and faith-based organizations in the areas of business and employment law. The mission of The Wilkerson Law Office, is to preserve the longevity of your business by ensuring that every aspect of your organization is legally sound and operating in compliance with state and federal law.